City Hall – Week of March 2, 2020
- News of interest
- ACTION ITEMS – What to look for in upcoming meetings
- Meeting calendar and agendas
News of interest
- It has been widely reported that Council Member Patrick Buffkin violated the rules of decorum by verbally attacking a fellow council member and at least one member of the public at Thursday’s Atlantic CAC meeting.
- City Council began a series of budget work sessions on Monday. Many transportation capital projects, including sidewalks and road improvements, are facing serious shortfalls. Council is debating whether to take on additional debt in order to partially meet some of the budget gaps.
- Several CAC meetings were held last week and Glenwood, Midtown, Five Points, Hillsborough-Wade, and Atlantic CACs all passed resolutions asking the City to reinstate the CACs and affirming that they plan to continue operating in some fashion.
- The Planning Commission met on Tuesday and Thursday to discuss a text change to authorize an “additional neighborhood meeting” to handle rezoning requests in the absence of the CACs. This is being rushed through and appears to offer no advantages over CAC meetings and, in fact, raises some serious concerns.
- Link to City Manager’s Weekly Report: https://raleighnc.gov/services/government/city-managers-weekly-report
ACTION ITEMS – What to look for in upcoming meetings – check the calendar, show up, speak up!
- As usual there is a lot on Tuesday’s City Council agenda, including more fall-out from the dissolution of the CACs, and legalization of whole-house short-term rentals throughout the city.
- There will be some important and interesting updates at Thursday’s Stormwater Management Advisory Commission meeting.
- Remember that you can sign up to speak up to one hour before the Council meeting starts: https://raleighnc.gov/services/government/petition-address-city-council
This is only a partial listing. Go to RaleighNC.gov to find links to latest meeting agendas and materials and also for updates on meeting cancellations.
All meetings are held at Raleigh Municipal Building, 222 West Hargett Street, unless otherwise noted.
- 7pm – Central CAC, Crosby Garfield Building, 568 East Lenoir Street, Room 202, agenda includes
- Census 2020
- Future of the CACs
- 2020 Parks Bond
- Early Spring Social Event
- 11am – Raleigh Transit Authority Route Committee
- 1pm – Raleigh City Council, agenda includes
- Planning Commission Report
- Rezoning Z-52-19: 1321 Jones Franklin Road, at the northeast corner of its intersection with Penwood Drive (District D)
- Rezoning Z-2-20: 1315 Jones Franklin Road, on its east side, 200 feet north of Penwood Drive (District D)
- Rezoning Z-39-19: 1031 North Rogers Lane, near the intersection of North Rogers Lane and New Bern Avenue (District C)
- Rezoning Z-44-19: Gresham Lake Road and Litchford Road, west of Nichols Road (District A)
- Rezoning Z-45-19: W South Street. At the southwest quadrant of the intersection of W South St and S Saunders St, approximately 550 feet north of Western Blvd (District D)
- Rezoning Z-41-19: Millbrook and North Hills, northwest quadrant of the Millbrook Road and North Hills Drive intersection.
- Text Change TC-3-20: Additional Neighborhood Meeting
- Resolution - Council Appointments to the Raleigh Transit and the Raleigh Convention and Performing Arts Centers Authorities
- Nick Fugh, 214 W Millbrook Road, Eden Ridge Development, LLC
- Text Change - Private Use of Public Spaces – Pushcart Height
- Police Advisory Board Update
- Hispanic and Immigrant Affairs Board Update
- Raleigh Police Department - 2019 Traffic Stop Data
- GoRaleigh Bus Shelters – Follow Up from 2016 Design Competition
- Preliminary Resolutions - $17,446,666 Two-Thirds General Obligation Bond Sale
- Public Service Announcements - Gun Violence Prevention
- Guidelines for Staff Support - Council Member Town Hall and District Meetings
- Latta University Historic Park Master Plan
- Appearance Commission Annual Report and 2020 Work Plan
- Environmental Advisory Board Recommendations - Solid Waste/Recycling
- Residential Infill Development
- Short-Term Rentals
- 4pm – Wake BRT: Southern Corridor Kickoff Meeting (Take Two), Garner Senior Center, 205 E. Garner Road
- 7pm – Raleigh City Council, agenda includes
- Public Comment
- Downtown and Hillsborough Street Municipal Service Districts
- Tax Exempt Bonds Issue - Thales Academy - Public Finance Authority of the State of Wisconsin
- Sidewalk Improvements - Rembert Drive Part B
- Street Improvements - Turnbridge Drive
- Sidewalk Improvements - Freeman Street, Postell Street and Coleman Street
- Sidewalk Improvements - Brookhaven Drive
- Annexation Petition, Contiguous, Outside ETJ, Concurrent with Rezoning Case Z-37-19
- Rezoning Z-4-17: M.E. Valentine Drive, on the south side of the street between Concord Street and Friendly Drive (Hillsborough-Wade CAC)
- Rezoning Z-23-19: 13051 & 13055 Strickland Road (Northwest CAC)
- Rezoning Z-32-19: Sunnybrook Road, east side between its intersections with Carl Sandburg Court and Sungate Boulevard
- Rezoning Z-36-19: Poole Road, located in the northwest quadrant of the Poole Road and New Hope Road intersection
- Rezoning Z-37-19: 0 Page Road (Northwest CAC)
- Rezoning Z-46-19: Willow Run South NCOD. The properties along Willow Run South Drive and connected cul-de-sacs roughly between Newton Road and Van Thomas Drive (North CAC).
- Text Change for Zoning Conditions: TCZ-7-19/4251 Parklake Avenue (District E)
- Text Change TC-3-20: Additional Neighborhood Meeting
- 3:30pm – Raleigh Transit Authority Finance and Policy Committee
- 10am – CAMPO Technical Coordinating Committee, 421 Fayetteville Street, Suite 203
- 11am – Raleigh Transit Authority Marketing Committee
- 3pm – Stormwater Management Advisory Commission, agenda includes
- Raleigh Rainwater Rewards projects
- Drainage Assistance Program project prioritization model
- Plan for advancing green stormwater infrastructure
- Update on Stormwater design manual
- Floodprone area regulations
- 4pm – Art, Education, and Collections Committee
- 4:30pm – Appearance Commission, agenda includes
- AAD-3-20: 5101 Capital Boulevard
- AAD-5-20: 200 W Lane Street
- AAD-6-20: 518 W Cabarrus Street
- 6pm – Parks, Recreation, and Greenway Advisory Board, Five Points Center for Active Adults, 2000 Noble Road
- 6pm – 5-Year Consolidated Plan Draft Information Session, John Chavis Memorial Park, 505 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Olde East Raleigh & Wakefield
Public comments through March 8
Greenway Master Plan Update and Online Survey
Southeast Special Area Study
Comment by March 4.