Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Last chance for input to neighborhood gas stations ordinance
Reminder: neighborhood gas stations text changes are on the table at 9 am.
The meeting is this morning at 9 AM, a quick short note that states that you support the staff recommendations and where you live in Raleigh will be extremely helpful.
Your short guide to the issue:
1. Limit the hours of operation of a station; (staff amendment says 6am - 11pm, including deliveries; industry wants 24hrs)
2. Limit gas pumps to 4 but no more than 8; (industry suggests 12)
3. Require a masonry wall to separate stations from residential areas; (staff amendment requires wall; industry reduces this to "fence or wall")
4. Do not permit car wash or vacuuming amenities in order to reduce noise levels from residents; (staff suggested; industry wants to allow)
5. Prohibit music from the store to the outside;
6. Provide proper accommodations for polluted run-off liquids from the site;
7. Ensure that lighting will not be glaringly bright in residential settings;
8. Limit the service station store to 1,000 s.f.-1,200 s.f., single story;(industry requests up to 5000 sqft buildings)
9. Specify when refueling trucks can access the station site, preferably during normal business hours. (see #1)
We support and appreciate the recommendations of the planning department staff on this issue.
Send email to